Facebook Membership Accelerator ・ Austin
Online News Association national conference attendee (Steal my notes) ・ Austin
SXSW speaker (Steal my notes) ・ Austin
PolitiFact Palooza attendee ・ Poynter ・ St. Petersburg, Fla.
Newsletter Unconference attendee ・ Lenfest Institute ・ Philadelphia
Women’s Leadership Accelerator fellow ・ Online News Association ・ Los Angeles, New York City & Washington, D.C.
Online News Association national conference attendee (Steal my notes) ・ Washington, D.C.
National Association of Black Journalists national conference job recruiter ・ New Orleans
Online News Association local leader training attendee ・ New Orleans
Selected participant, Northrop Boot Camp for local government ・ Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association ・ Harrisburg, Pa.
BACHELOR OF ARTS, JOURNALISM
The Pennsylvania State University ・ University Park, Pa. ・ 2008 – 2012
Led the independent, student-run news organization, The Daily Collegian, as Editor-in-Chief during the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal and death of Joe Paterno, while working about 40 hours per week in addition to being a full-time student.
Read more: The Daily Collegian.
Studied writing and editing, multi-platform storytelling, women’s studies and Italian
Swam with great white sharks in Gansbaai, South Africa for a McClatchy Newswire story about the tension between cage diving operators and surfers, which topped McClatchy’s traffic for days, as part of an international reporting class
・ 2011 Hearst Journalism Awards, 13th Place in Feature Writing
Profiled John Fetterman — then just a mayor with big dreams for his small steel town — for a semester-long in-depth reporting class
・ 2010 Society of Professional Journalists’ Mark of Excellence Awards, National 1st Place in Feature Writing
・ 2010 Hearst Journalism Awards, 5th Place in Personality
Interned with The Heinz Endowments’ communications staff in summer 2010, when I wrote a 2,500-word article for h magazine about Pittsburgh’s boomerang effect, edited the magazine and website, and tracked news articles about the foundation
Hopewell High School ・ Aliquippa, Pa. ・ May 2008
Selected as Hopewell’s youngest-ever Hopewell Hi-Lites Editor-in-Chief, a position I held for three years
- Forfeited my lunch periods and study halls to produce the newspaper in years that the offered journalism class did not fit into my schedule
- Managed about 15 reporters and photographers at Hopewell Area High School’s monthly student newspaper
- Designed broadsheet pages, including page one; edited for content; fact checked; wrote articles; made photos
- Graduated in top 10 percent of class
- Studied five years of Latin
- Participated in the Gifted Education Program from second grade through graduation
- Received the 2005 Good Citizen’s Award for work on a service-learning project, Hope-In-A-Bag
- National Honor Society member
- Co-captain of girls’ varsity tennis team; three time letter-earner; and managed boys’ varsity tennis team
- Competitive equestrian for a decade