Pittsburgh, Pa. ・ July 2016 – present
I do a lot here.
Strategy & Impact
Launched The Incline, Spirited Media’s second local news site, on Sept. 13, 2016 and hired news reporters and a photojournalist
Leading and executing editorial and audience development strategies and experiments with agile methodology
Covered and planned response to Tree of Life massacre, police shooting of Antwon Rose II, and local and national elections
Editing news, feature and sports articles
Writing SEO-friendly (and not horrible) headlines
Developing stories with reporters, photographers, designers and freelancers
- HuffPost and The Incline worked on the Listen To America tour to determine “What the driverless vehicles of tomorrow mean for today’s Pittsburgh workers.”
- 90.5 WESA and The Incline partnered on a live mayoral debate ahead of the 2017 election.
- Report For America selected The Incline and Billy Penn to host one of its 2018 editorial fellows to cover Pennsylvania’s state government.
- 100 Days of Appalachia supported an The Incline project on food deserts, after placing in its Pittsburgh Pitch competition.
- The Incline is PolitiFact’s Pennsylvania partner.
- Local television, including KDKA-TV and WTAE, and 90.5 WESA
Overseeing daily newsletter production and social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
Redesigned newsletter to convey values
Utilizing Google Analytics and Parse.ly to track values-based goals and Crowdtangle to follow local trends
Created audience-driven reporting projects and templates for other network sites to implement best practices
- Since self-driving car companies in Pittsburgh won’t disclose testing locations, we’ve asked readers to tell The Incline when and where they’ve spotted the technology, so reporters could map self-driving cars and break stories about the companies interactions with the community.
- Peculiar Pittsburgh, powered by Hearken, allows readers to ask questions about Pittsburgh and have reporters investigate the answers.
- Who’s Next highlights under-40 professionals in Pittsburgh through reader nominations via Google Forms, culminating in a networking happy hour.
- Brackets seeking reader nominations and voting through Google Forms have helped build our newsletter list.
Membership & Revenue
“Their membership perk is the journalism. The idea is, you can’t get anything else like it in the city, and beyond that, if you get a membership, yes, we have laptop stickers, yes, we have happy hours. But that’s not why people join.”
— Neiman Lab, Aug. 2018
Implemented The Incline’s membership program in early 2018
Created member drives and timely asks with News Revenue Hub
Attended Facebook Membership Accelerator
Working with sales and events staff to host profitable events
Hiring newsroom staff and local freelancers
Leading budgeting and goal- and OKR-setting meetings
Created and maintaining a style guide and corrections page
Biggest blockbuster story: Newsletter subscriptions and pageviews, Hearken’s Champions of Curiosity Awards: ‘What’s up with the monkey balls?’ The story of Pittsburgh’s weirdest tree
First Place Golden Quill, The Press Club of Western Pennsylvania: Lifestyle, Digital, Eating the Turnpike: All of Pennsylvania’s 15 East-West Rest Stops, Ranked
First Place Golden Quill, The Press Club of Western Pennsylvania: Continuing Blog: Four One Brew
Pittsburgh Black Media Federation Vann Award, online business news: Meet the woman behind Black Tech Nation in Pittsburgh